Thursday, February 24, 2011

My 2011 Pantheacon Experience

This year I had the pleasure of attending Pantheacon for the second year in a row. Just like the first year I attended it was an amazing experience. One of the difficult things about Pantheacon is that there is so much to do and you end up being so busy, that it is hard to have enough time with the people you are staying with. It was so wonderful getting to spend time with Rev. Crystal, Jade, Kat, Jenna (Sulaire), Anna, Megan, Chris, Jason, and Jon, but of course it just wasn’t enough time! I really wish I had gotten to spend more time with all of them! It is very hard to find the right amount of balance at Pantheacon because you are trying to socialize, attend events, and spiritually grow all at the same time. Enough of my grumbling though, let’s move on to the good stuff.

The main highlight of Pantheacon 2011 for me was getting to meet so many of my heroes. Last year I attended some events with some of my so called heroes, but I didn’t actually go up and “meet” them. This year I made an effort to seek out the people I wanted to meet and to actually have a conversation with them. First thing Friday afternoon I went up to Ruth Barrett’s vendor booth and introduced myself. I told her how much I love her book and have used it when creating rituals. I then attended her workshop, where we all discussed the past and future of the Dianic Tradition. It was an amazing meeting! Listening to all the women present tell their stories about their fight for Paganism and women’s rights, it was so inspiring! At the meeting I also had the pleasure of meeting Z Budapest. She sat down next to me, so I introduced myself. I have to admit I kind of made of fool of myself because I was so stunned when she sat down next to me. I asked her if she was Z Budapest and told her I was a little star struck. She just laughed at me and was really nice about the whole thing.  I also attended her ritual later that night, which of course was nothing short of amazing.  Late Friday night while attending the Pomba Gira Devotional I got to meet Sparrow and Mojo from The Wigglian Way. I knew they were attending Pantheacon for the first time and I was determined to meet them. I didn’t realize the first time I would be meeting them was when I was all sweaty and on the dance floor-LOL. It was really fun though because I got to dance with them, as well as, some of the other Wigglian Way guests (like EcoPriestess). I got to meet Le’ema Kathleen Graham also known as the Snake Priestess as well on Friday. I even ended up having dinner with her and her husband Friday night. I attended all her workshops including her snake yoga on Saturday morning. It was very difficult to get up early on Saturday morning and do yoga, but it was so worth it. We ended the session by dancing with her live snakes-totally awesome! 

On Saturday I got to attend two CAYA Coven rituals (or at least covens formed by women from CAYA Coven). High Priestess Yeshe Rabbit is one of my favorite priestesses of all time! She is seriously bad ass and just plain awesome! I had the pleasure of meeting her last year when I attended her Amazon Priestess Tribe’s ritual. I made sure I attended their ritual again this year. It was such a powerful ritual it is hard to even explain what happened there. It was a skyclad ritual where we honored the Goddess Lilith. Later that night I attended another of their rituals, but this one was put on by their Grove of Hekate coven. Again it was another very powerful and inspiring ritual. I would go to Pantheacon just to attend the CAYA Coven rituals alone. They are seriously my favorite part of Pantheacon!

Other highlights included hanging out with Anna (my new student-yay), meeting and talking with my roommate Anith, attending an awesome Morrigan ritual, going to a runes workshop led by Diana Paxson, buying new ritual items at the vendors, and laughing my ass off at the Haggis’ Revenge concert. Overall Pantheacon was a very joyous experience, an exhausting experience, but a joyous one none the less! Pantheacon is well worth the money and exhaustion! It is hard to explain how much spiritual growth and fun can happen at an event like Pantheacon, but you are going to just have to trust me and make sure you attend next year!

No comments: